Monday, April 23, 2007

A Quest to Save Readers Everywhere - The Story of Manchegan Madness

As a public service to the health of the literary community, I wrote a post on my literary blog titled Do You Recognize the 7 Signs of Manchegan Madness? When I saw more people coming down with symptoms I followed that article with Another Outbreak of Manchegan Madness?

This bibliophilic disease is one of most neglected disorders in the medical world. Its first victim was the Knight of the Sorrowful Face, the incomparable Don Quixote of La Mancha, from whom it gets its name. You can read about his battle with Manchegan Madness in The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha.

Today I decided it it was time to speak out. You see, I am one of the afflicted.

By sharing my story, and by chronicling the spread of this insidious disease, I hope to prevent others from suffering needlessly. If this blog saves only one life, it will be worth it.

How can you tell if you are a victim?

  • Is your user name Frodo or Galadriel?
  • Do you have a fish named Pride and one named Prejudice?
  • Do you call your dog Oedipus Rex?
  • Have you changed all the labels on your children's modeling clay to Plato?
If so, then you may have Manchegan Madness. Send me your story, and I will share it with the world.

This is my quest--to follow that star. No matter how hopeless. No matter how far.

Together we can make a difference.

No comments: